Halloween in Salem
For those of you who are history buffs and horror movie fans, tis the season for the gooey, the bloody, the gory and the witchy, might I add? Enter Salem, Massachusetts, home of the notorious witch trials. While it’s history of paranoia is a stain on the city’s past, present day Salem hosts a wide variety of events that pay homage to its history, celebrates its change and celebrates Halloween in all its gory…ahem, glory. The city’s mom and pop feel is a Halloween hotspot for the month of October. I recommend this trip for gals looking for a weekend getaway of Halloween themed recreation.
What to do? Let’s start with the top 5 must-have Salem Halloween experiences
1. Lantern tour: A night tour with lanterns around the city will give you a rundown of Salem’s history and ghostly past. Most tour guides encourage photography. There are a large number of visitors who capture shadows and allegedly ghosts on camera.
2. Hocus Pocus: For those of you who love the movie. You can actually tour parts of town and the home the movie was filmed in. If you’d rather do the lantern tour, you can always stop by the house which is located in town right next to the witch museum
3. Salem Witch Museum: I find this museum profound. Not only does it pay ode to Salem history, but on a deeper level, Salem historians recognize the paranoia and demonization of innocent women. I won’t say too much, but let’s say there’s a presentation involved. It’s not your average museum. It definitely has a more dark and interactive feel to it, while still offering a valuable history lesson.
4. Stop at Hawthorne Hotel for its famous pumpkin spice latte: While Salem is a small town, spending a day touring different parts of town can still be tiring. Take a minute to sit down relax and take in the scenery. The hotel usually has free hot cider and you can sit in its lounge area and sip on the delicious season cocktail.
Where to eat?
Red’s Sandwich Shop – inexpensive and great for brunch. Plan on waiting in for about 20 minutes to be seated. The food is tasty and filling. While in line, grab your copy of Haunted Happenings Magazine, a local magazine that will give you a rundown of EVERYTHING Halloween going on in the city of Salem. Take your pick from the plethora of events!
Where to shop?
Hive & Forge: For lovely soy scented candles, natural bath therapies and natural skincare check out this beauty. I recommend the bath glitter bombs ;) Hive & Forge also sells the work of local artists, check out there site for collaborations.
Where to stay? BOOK, BOOK, AND BOOK! Salem gets booked far in advance for the Halloween season. You will want to book by the month of July at the latest.
1. Hawthorn Hotel – located in the heart of Salem, Hawthorn Hotel is super convenient. It’s in walking distance of everything.
2. Merchant Inn - a boutique style luxury hotel, Merchant Inn is located in a prime spot and is the eye candy of inns.
3. A Lady Winette Cottage – if you find the city of Salem is booked, try the little jewel. Located in the relaxed boating town of Marblehead, Lady Winette offers you a home stay away from home. It’s 15 min away from Salem. Ask for Susan Davies!